Monday, August 23, 2010

Dyeing Seam Binding Tutorial

These days you'll be seeing beautiful rayon seam binding being dyed and used as a bow on cards or on scrapbook projects.

In Malaysia, I have not managed to find any rayon seam binding but only this kind of seam binding. I got this from a local stationery shop. It is usually used to tie documents or files.

This is what I did with the seam binding above:

First, I misted into a storage bag that comes with a zipper.

Once I have got a nice amount of mist, I stuffed the seam binding into the storage bag. Zipped it and gave a nice scrunch to it. You can push it to a corner to wrinkle it a little but it is not as effective as rayon seam binding as it is softer.

Ta daa!! Here's the colored seam binding. I like the natural effect of it.
A little white to go along with the pink.

Guess what, you can even try it with two colors!!

Cut another piece of seam binding.
This time I misted with two colors, turquoise & purple to give a combo look.

Repeat the same process, scrunch it.

Here's the color combo effect. Nice huh?

To give a little more interest to your seam binding, you can use script stamp to stamp along it.
Staz On (Jet Black) is the perfect ink for this!

Ta daa!! Another cool effect, no?

You can always form the dyed seam binding into a very pretty rose & attach a pretty pearl as the centre! Love this shabby chic looking rose, do you? Oh yeah, in this post HERE, I used a turquoise seam binding for my card and I loved it!

Another tip:
You can try using coffee powder to dye it too, not only it has a nice smell to it but it gives a nice brown tone color to your seam binding! Cool huh?

Hope you enjoy this simple tutorial and can't wait to see your version :) Do share with me if you have done something similar ok?

Got to hit the sack now! Nite nite!!

Xoxo Jessy

25 comments:

kirsty Vittetoe said...

Very cool, I need to try using coffee too! FYI -the crinkled seam binding is on your way with the Oct Kit! Enjoy!

Shirl said...

Thanks for a great tutorial Jessy! I've tried dying them with my distress ink pads, but never thought of stamping them too! I'd definitely be trying as soon as I can sneak some time for crafting, LOL...

mariam said...

very cool! love the flower.

Lynnda Hosni said...

Awesome..... thanks for sharing...
This is great and useful tutorial for me... I can't wait to get my hands dirty on this one... Thanks Jess... sweet...xoxo

sharon Ong said...

Very cool idea! I would have made a mess just spraying the mist all over the place. So thanks for saving me from cleaning up next time!

Wati Basri said...

cool tut babe...love it :) and thanks for sharing!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

YOU ROCK Jessy!! That is an AWESOME tip!!!! LOVE IT! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Sharon Corn said...

Great Idea. I will try out soon. Thanks for sharing Jessy, and that flower is sooo darn cute.

Cindy Lee said...

I guess they said geat minds think alike! I bought some cream twill from Sheila last week and intend to stamp some text or polka dots on it. By seeing you doing it now, I'm all inspired!

Craftylicious said...

Thank you for the awesome tutorial gurl!! Can't wait to try it.. ;) I've only tried dying the seam binding with food colouring..lol

Sally said...

Cool ideas- love the script writing and the flower ideas especially.

BabyBokChoy said...

Cute idea!!! lovely flower you made!

Helen Tilbury said...

Love it Jessy! Have seen the rayon type featured on Pearl's blog a lot {http://maisymary.blogspot.com} & also went on a hunt here for it! You have given me an idea to go into the stationers' 'cos I never thought of that & I know what you have isn't exactly what you are looking for but I have also been looking for the type you have too! I found some lovely loose-weave bias-binding which I have ironed flat but not yet tried to dye. Pearl sent me a you-tube link I haven't got to viewing yet so think I'll use your tutorial as it's nice & easy & NOT MESSY!!! tfs!

eMeLiNe Seet said...

u are super clever to put them in the pack and using the mist :) !

Pearl said...

oooo ! I love the stamping idea on that twill ribbon.

Rayon seam binding can be easily bought on ebay ( yes the plain ones !) I doubt that we have this kind in our area.

~Sasha Farina~ said...

that is so pretty!

Valerie said...

Love this Jessy - love how you stamped it, too!!

Janetcraft said...

'LAVELY'....
a nice creation...maybe I will try then!!

Lynn said...

What an ingenious idea! Love this tutorial! Thanks for sharing! :)

LG said...

Very cool! Will definitely try this. TFS!

liana suwandi said...

very nice tutorial Jess! I might give it a try sometimes :) thanks!

shaggyfish said...

wow, amazing! you made things look sooooo easy and fun to do!
thanks for sharing!
is teachers' day too in Malaysia?? still happy teachers' day to you!!!

BeeBeebabs said...

Wow great flower and great tutorial tfs.!!!

Savitri said...

Super cool!! Love the tut!! I'll have to try it out. Ya know, I made a flower like you did ages ago and it's still sitting there waiting for the right project. I want to do another though, with stamping like you did, and make it a bit neutral. The other was astro bright :P

Sonia said...

Hi Jessy
Thanks for sharing this tutorial. I will put your blog and this tutorial on my blog.


**Sony**
Sonia-Studio60

 

Teacher Jessy's Blog | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012